Write comments

Hiatus

Sun 30. Sep 2012, 09:57

Hi Rare,

you will perhaps have noticed that I wasn't really online over the past days. The reason for that is that I have come to the conclusion that GW2 is not the game for me, at least not full time. You can't really quit a game without a sub fee, can you? ;)

What that means is that I won't be online as much as I used to in the beginning, possible only once or twice a week to do some zerging in EB. There are many issues with GW2 that make it overall unenjoyable to me - long term anyway.

- No advancement through WvW. It's all about the server ranking
- I don't care about server rankings
- Server ranking is pointless on FS, as we have already accomplished everything we can.
- The engine is garbage for WvW, right now. They are aware of the clipping issue, but who knows if and when that will be fixed.
- Combat mechanics don't appeal to me - too much instant crap and button spamming.
- The design does not really favor skill; it's all about the zerg.
- Zerging as a main focus is boring as hell to me. Especially if I personally have no gain from doing it.
- Elementalist is pretty gimp at the moment. Little defensive abilities (always get charged down by some fotm melee class before I can get out of range - see also the clipping bug^^) and damage despite a decent template could be better.
- Don't care for sPVP, too artificial and as far as I can tell dominated by a few fotm classes and builds.

Anyway, enough ranting, I will be around and check in occasionally to see how the game develops. In the mean time I can be found on Uthgard (DAoC Freeshard) playing with my old guild.

So long, for now!

Marc

Sun 30. Sep 2012, 09:57

Re: Hiatus

Sun 30. Sep 2012, 10:29

Yo marc,

thanks for letting us know about that, honestly, my expectation of WvW have been higher aswell, though the main reason for my expectations not being fulfilled is the bugs and lags that you already mentioned. I still enjoy it though with the alliance (which you haven't tried once yet if im not wrong). Also being a 8v8 supportive player of DAoC i don't really get how anyone would not even be willing to give the most competetive part of that new game (sPvP) atleast a try. Ofc king of the hill is not 8v8 in daoc, just the 8v8 players i met in daoc usually were fans of competetive gameplay generally, and i know u also like BF3 so i think our tastes in this matter arent much different.

sPvP is dominated by strong groups. Average groups usually win with good builds/setups, like many guardians/mesmers. But i saw effectivity of every class already it just depended on the group and their builds, and well i have'nt played sPvP for to much yet either.

Anyway, i respect your decision, and in terms of WvW i can understand ur current frustration partly. But as u said its for free and lets just hope some of the issues will be worked out by ANet

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 01:27

If we get matched against Vizunah again next friday I will at least be checking out the other servers for a week.

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 09:06

Hey Lasastard,

sad to hear, but i can understand some of your points.
Even we faced yesterday some horror-specced ele's in enemy-teams^^ not killable elementarlists with tons of defense^^

anyway, take your time and watch time to time how the game develops (don't forget that daoc did not had any realm ranks in the very early beginnings too ^^)

gl&hf

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 09:52

Morning Marc,

Yes I got that impression already from our chitchatting on Saturday :(

I find the WvW to be frustrating with the huge zerging french but mostly the invisible players gets me. But still nonetheless I enjoy it especially if can find pockets of action away from the zerginess going on.

Yes at the beginning in DAOC there was no realm abilities that was brought in after the fact.

I think personally the combat mechanics are alot more complex than DAOC, on my druid it wasn't really that taxing in DAOC, whereas on my engineer is alot more complex play. Yes of course when keep defending I can just spam grenades but when smaller scale pvp it is alot more indepth., though yes I did really enjoy that game and playing with my guild there, so of course the fact of having people to constantly group with makes all the difference in a game hence why played it for years.

Mike and I went back to DAOC just before GW2 was released, was fun for a few hours but only knowing 1 person left there still playing was a bit bleh tbh. Plus Ywain is full of french too :P

I think if we could get 1-2 groups going in a WvW environment it would make alot of difference, but that is just my opinion.

Also the alliance, it is a slower pace but the couple of times I have been it has been mostly enjoyable though my PC can't handle the huge keep fights with the FPS very well. But still I enjoyed it.

I hope though Marc you enjoy your time playing DAOC and no doubt will see you when you pop back now and again. Wish you all the best.

Claire :)

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 14:39

I feel the exact opposite about GW2. Feels like the lowest skill cap MMO I could imagine. Still fun for sure, buts its designed for casuals imo. no support class. max of hitting 5 players at once. downed state. Those three things ensure it will never take anywhere near the skill DAOC required to play GW2.

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 15:14

The comparison of GW2 and DAoC in terms of gameplay is almost like comparing an egoshooter to an adventure game. DAoC and GW2 require totally different types of skills imo. Ofc you can always mention teamplay and the maximum control of your own character as 2 bigger topics. But those weight high in EVERY competetive game. The fact that there is no support class makes it surely easier in WvW as in alot of scenarios where u would have died in other mmo's without a good healer saving you, the only ones in GW2 who decides is yourself, even if there is ways of support that come from ur team aswell, at the end major mistakes u do kill yourself but not your group. In DAoC one weak spot has alot bigger influence on the outcome of fights. GW2 however adds another thing here which is the "King of the Hill" component in sPvP... which some don't like but adds another very teamplay oriented competetive factor to the game.

Its really not that easy said which game require higher skills, really not. Id even say its impossible.

Mon 1. Oct 2012, 16:13

Yes sorry I am writing my messages from work so they sometimes do not portray exactly what I am trying to get across as keep getting interrupted.

I didn't mean to say DAOC is a less or more skilled game, was more from a personal perspective that playing my engineer is alot more indepth and complex than my druid. Though, because I have generally played healers in MMOs I am away from my comfortzone playstyle.

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack Marcs thread or start a debate on skill levels of games and hope he is happy in DAOC again :)
Write comments

Bei iphpbb3.com bekommen Sie ein kostenloses Forum mit vielen tollen Extras
Forum kostenlos einrichten - Hot Topics - Tags
Beliebteste Themen: Name, Forum, NES, Youtube, Uni

Impressum | Datenschutz