Go to footer

State of the guild

State of the guild

Postby Lasastard » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 07:33

Hi guys,

I talked to Mark about this briefly, but think it may be good to have this here as well. As you may have noticed, I was gone for over a week - business and such - and was a little bit shocked when I got back in game the other day. I suppose you know what I am getting at - on release, everyone would be on Mumble and chat - whether they were playing together or not - and people would do a range of content, including WvW. Now it appears that guild members are grinding on their own for some items they feel they need to be able to enjoy the game, don't join Mumble and only interact to do dungeon runs. Mark assured me this would only last until all items are farmed. But to be honest, I am very unhappy about this development. For starters, I was never a believer in stats as a sole determinant of fun in a game. I can see why one wouldn't want to be disadvantaged in a fight soley on the basis of numbers, but come one, this can't be an excuse for going into solo mode and grinding stuff. Others are partaking in WvW just fine without the best and greatest equipment and, I assume, are having fun.

So I would like to remind everyone that for a guild to function, there should be some level of interaction and doing things together and perhaps, just perhaps, doing things together as a guild should have a higher priority than getting that uber drop or sword of pwnz-a-lot?

My two cents anyway

/Marc
Lasastard

by Advertising » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 07:33

Advertising

Re: State of the guild

Postby Aaron » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 08:59

Before you read anything else make sure you understand what a BUY ORDER is on the Trading Post

you don't have to pay the listed "buy instantly" (or Sell order) price, but rather you can place a buy order (and it will show you the current highest) which players will see as their "sell instantly" price when they click "sell on the black lion trader."

Gonna touch on gear just in case anyone is unaware of the current state of the gear meta-game, and gearing up.

You can get level 75-78 exotics for a bit cheaper than lvl 80 exotics, and they have very close to the same armor/stats.

The lvl 80 Rare will be cheaper than this, and have slightly worse stats still.

The Weapons can be made from 4 lvl 70+ exotic (in the Mystic Forge), and if you aren't picky about its stats (use your other gear to work around whatever random weapon you get) its not a big deal. Be aware you CAN get a lvl 78. You CAN also get a Exotic needed for crafting legendaries, its a gamble. Mostly you get lvl 80s with random stats. Just make sure you start with 4 of the same weapons. This won't work forever though, as pricing on 70+ exotics is increasing daily, and at some points, its cheaper to just buy the weapon itself (or craft).

If you save 50 skill points for when you are 80, all you need is 30 mystic coins, 5 orichalcum component A, 5 orichalcum component b, for a 'mystic weapon' which is exotic and has a glow to it. Those craft components are about 3 gold however.

You can also get exotic armor/weapons from the dungeon gear merchants in Lion's Arch near the Upper portals. Or for Karma (for armor) from merchants in Orr, or for Badge of Honor (for weapons or armor) in WvW.

The hardest thing to get imo is the exotic jewelry. This you basically just have to farm materials for, or craft. That's like 10-12 gold basically.

^^all that mentioned above if you dont farm anything yourself is probably 20-25 gold in cost. If you want all lvl 80 and to pick a specific Weapon with specific stats, could be 35 gold +/-

Whether or not someone wants their exotic set before they WvW is up to them.

Personally, I am ready anytime there is a group.
Last edited by Aaron on Tue 11. Sep 2012, 09:15, edited 5 times in total.
Aaron

Postby Jadene » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 09:05

Hi Marc,

I am generally in mumble in the evenings so welcome to come chat with me and Mike along with Mellas who is usually there too.

Now have hit 80 my gear isn't the most amazing in the world though working on it over time along with levelling Mikes leatherworking as he is too lazy :P but still I go out and WvW sometimes though mostly for me I am trying to finish pve zones off and get money as pretty poor from buying the couple of pieces of armour I have.

But for sure please feel free to look me up in game, I am all for playing with people regardless of whatever it is whether dungeons, helping with quests or just hanging out together because I like to play with people rather than just do my own thing all the time.

To start with I felt like you did and felt a bit on my own little island in a sea of people but then this is also as I didn't have my best friend playing the game due to his working schedule etc and he isn't playing but I have grouped with a few from the guild and it has been alot of fun on those occasions.

I am the same as you I am not obsessed with gear to the degree of having the extra 20 hitpoints or crit chance or whatever it happens to be but do understand the other side of it that others need to have the very best gear.

I am running around with level 78 exotics mostly with green jewellry etc and quite happy where I am until get around to having the money and leatherworking skill along with the recipes etc etc to make my own armour up.

The game THANK GOD isn't like WOW with all the gear > skill shite and from the pvp I have done I don't feel I have been lacking due to the gear.

Now I will work towards getting better stuff but it isn't the be all and end all for me and I don't put it ahead of enjoyment.

So anyways don't feel sad if you want someone to hang out with or play with or whatever it is I would love to join up with you :)

Claire
Jadene

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 11:35

Tbh. im already getting a bit tired of that conversations. This game is 2 weeks old and so is this guild in its current setup. Is it the inability of people to organize themselves or is it just a good way to let some steam off because things arent 100% as people are used to it right now?

Personally i never had problems to find people to group up with when i was trying to do a dungeon or finishing a PvE zone or sth like that. Not having people in mumble 24/7 is sth i really don't care about, i never been a big fan of wearing my headset all day long, i often prefer listening to music while playing. In WvW/PvP or harder dungeons this is OFC another thing! The fact that some people are effectivly avoiding to read/use the guildchat is sth i do not understand though. If its already to much to say hello to the guild when you join the game, u wonder why people don't answer your dungeon/WvW/PvP/PvE or whatever appeals? I am not pointing any fingers here but its sth. i have been made aware off by one of our members.

And this been said, i won't spend one more minute on the discussion if its necessary to go to WvW with a "almost" cap template or not. For me IT IS, for you it may not and there is no need for justification because people prefer getting geared up before starting WvW, as there is no need for justification if its the opposite.

You simply gotta see that this is a whole new game and i see to many people demanding things already or say they miss this or that. I admit that i am pretty much focused on my own Char atm, and probably will be for another couple of days, but once all are 80 and happy with their chars to go out and WvW/sPvP (yes i know u dont need gear for sPvP but i still wanna finish my char for WvW before i do sth else) i am pretty sure bounds will get closer as we will all have a goal again that unites us... harassing the enemy. At the end i sure want everybody to be happy in this guild and if that isnt the case atm you can always private send me with suggestions or critics or whatever... or publicly discuss them. But sorry about that, from some sides i only hear moaning atm and that is sth i won't take much seriously. Btw if you guys havent noticed, Rico joined us in GW2 and for the new members it might be good to know that he is also a leader of this guild. So atm theres 3 people regulary online if there is sth on your mind ;) Borrower (niels) Kathleen (Rico) and me.

PS: @ Marc, thanks for bringing this up even though my reaction doesnt sound like a poem, still its good to have it up in the forum
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Lasastard » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 12:29

To clarify, I wouldn't say I was moaning and I am perfectly able to 'organize' myself, the issue is more that the game by design is not highly conductive to building a community, since everything is very casual and noone needs to talk to anyone to get anything done, essentially. So I would just like to raise awareness that adopting that attitude will be deterimental to building a solid community. And this is something better discussed before everyone is totally estranged from the guild.
Lasastard

Postby Ravis » Wed 12. Sep 2012, 11:13

I do not think alot of MMOs are designed to build a community. In DaoC I soloed or duoed up to 50 was only when started RVR grouped up, met people. The only game it was necessary to group to level was EQ now days it is not other than the odd dungeon if that is your thing.

I have not found an issue with the guild from my point of view but then I tend to be focused on my leveling, gearing up etc and tend to be looking at my own character rather than much else. Claire on the other hand is more social and more hearts and flowers and tries to involve people in stuff. Her friends list grows as she is often adding random people dong dungeons or areas.

Once all geared up will be more going on from pvp and more grouping and more bonding if that is what you mean I am sure but if you want to a dungeon or whatever I will help out of course just let me know !
Ravis

Postby Ateron » Wed 12. Sep 2012, 19:03

We can assault the keeps with this song :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOYlgvI1uE
Ateron

Return to Board index

Return to Guild Wars 2