Go to footer

Trading Post market manipulation

Trading Post market manipulation

Postby Aaron » Fri 7. Sep 2012, 04:03

In case anyone is unaware, the black lion trading post operates almost exactly like a stock market with its buy and sell orders.

And just like the stock market, it is open to the possibility of market manipulation.

The example that made me realize how great this is follows;

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comm ... s_exotics/

The link above is to a post on reddit which was outlining the mystic forge unique recipes that use mystic coins and other rare items.

Shortly after that post being made the price on Mystic Coins went from 54c to 21s.

The price of buy orders being filled for Mystic Coins jumped an astonishing 3,000% in less than 2 hours.

Within another 24 hours it had leveld back out at 1.9s, losing over 90% of its peak value.

What does this mean?

It means we could make UNBELIEVABLE amounts of gold by manipulating the Black Lion Trader Market with strategic posts that we all upvote after our guild buys a ton of something like say Mystic Coins.

We buy a few hundred mystic coins at the going rate (right now around 1.9s), and then someone makes an elaborate post on reddit (like the one linked above) explaining *How to use Mystic Coins at the current price to craft the best stuff ever and/or make money hand over fist*, at that point we all up vote the link so it gets to the frontpage and simply watch the market.

When it moves, we sell.

And that is just an idea that I had which I wanted to share. Not saying we should do this, as its probably bannable etc, but I wanted to just put it out there.

/Gordon Gekko.

I made a quick 3g80s with a 19s sell order when I saw mystic coin prices spiking today (:
Aaron

by Advertising » Fri 7. Sep 2012, 04:03

Advertising

Re: Trading Post market manipulation

Postby Magicco » Fri 7. Sep 2012, 13:39

:( i wasn't online when those spikes happened.

but you see most people can't use a calculator for calculating how many mystic coins they will need and how long it should take to get them with monthly and dailys... (beside to get all the other incredients for mystic forge crafting...) :D
Magicco

Re: Trading Post market manipulation

Postby Jadene » Fri 7. Sep 2012, 13:44

I haven't really done anything on the trader though have only seen it up 2 times for me.

Not sure I would personally want to manipulate prices via a forum though of course I see how it is conducive to making alot of money in the game hehe.

Now I see you in a pinstriped suit Aaron oops sorry Gordon :P

We are all mice on the wheels of capitalism in game as well as RL ! :)
Jadene