Go to footer

WvW Setups

WvW Setups

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 07:39

Hey ladys!

Since not everyone has finished his build yet, i think it is worthy to put up such a thread.

In my opinion in WvW we need characters that fill specific main roles. And even in GW2 i think you can call i Heal CC DD and Tank. Unlike in other games, in GW2 this is not decided by the choice of the class but mostly by the stats that you pick in your template. For example healing power for a dedicated supporter, toughness for a tank, power/precision/condition dmg/crit dmg for DD's. Ofc in GW2 you are not forced to purely max out into one of that directions, there is tons of hybrid specs that are good aswell. But having a couple of dedicated healers, dds and tanks around it would add certain focus for everyone which makes the gameplay in a group alot of easier over the time IMO. CC is a thing that can actually applied by everyone and SHOULD be so, in my opinion its, like it was in DAoC, the most powerful tool. I am not sure but i think Rangers and Necros can apply heavy annoying CC. Personally i find root and immobilize the most powerful once as they can last forever (atleast it feels like it in this fast paced game). I think there are some classes that have an above average amount of CC capability (Necro, Ranger?) and maybe it might be even a good thing if we had 1 or 2 people which main focus is exactly this. Lets try to set up a list to get a little overview. Except for Glasscannons like me it is probably not easy to categorize your chars but ill try to make the table like that:

Pure (theres is not a class that only fullfil one role but with Pure i mean people that focus their stats on 1 of that roles):

- Tank:
- DD: Bloodwyne (Warrior)
- Support: Plata (Necro)
- CC: Eliyza (Ranger)

Hybrids (let us know your own definition of your hybrid class ;))

- Hybrid DD: Lasastard (Ele)
-
-
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

by Advertising » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 07:39

Advertising

Re: WvW Setups

Postby Lasastard » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 11:36

Hybrid/DD is what I would call my elementalist.

Yes, you have some heals, you have some CC (aoe snare with a hughe timer, and a stun field, short duration and long cooldown). Heals depends very much on weapon choice - staff is what I normally use so I have pbae swiftness and the aoe nuke goodies, so the heals are essentially a regeneration field and a very low radius heal spring which is almost impossible to get on target and maybe heals 3-5k tp with my current template. So it's not amazing - both in terms if availability (cool down) and strength (1/4th of a normal HP pool, maybe).

You can spec also to get some more boons and stuff, but all this works by proximity, so for me to apply them to my group mates I have to be where they are, i.e. melee range to enemies. Which is not ideal for a support caster, imho.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I do see the value of having support-players, but I don't quite see how the elementalist will fit in. So for that reason my current template caps power, not healing power. Deals very decent dmg and still has some support abilities with 30 fire / 25 air and 15 water (may change air since I am not putting a lot into precision with the gear anyway).
Lasastard

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 11:45

Lasastard wrote: so the heals are essentially a regeneration field and a very low radius heal spring which is almost impossible to get on target and maybe heals 3-5k tp with my current template. So it's not amazing - both in terms if availability (cool down) and strength (1/4th of a normal HP pool, maybe).

3-5k HP are pretty much in my opinion, and i agree that this field is quite useless without the usage of combo finishers with it. But thats sth i and probably many others are experiencing atm and learing. For example my greatsword whirl is a perfect style to use on any kind of fields, it has a recharge of 8 seconds and u can easily direct the whirl through the fields - this happening, it will apply regeneration (for more than 20 seconds!!!) to an alot wider radius than the field itself has... right now i dont know the radius but it should be sth between 600 and 1200.. will check ingame.

I don't know if its general the case but smaller fields probably have a stronger effect than larger fields.. would make sense imo, and therefor i think, whilst using them with combofinishers they are pretty damn effective.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Magicco » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 11:56

I will try to explain the Necro

many ppl r crying atm the the offical forums but i can't understand their crying...

A sPvP-mumblegrps or smallmen Necro will be specced and has following utility in my opinion

The necro has mainly Support-options aka Condition master :
1st step You gather ALL conditions from friends to yourself in a 1200 radius as passive Sigil
2nd step activating this Sigil send them all to an enemy
3rd step activate an ability to multiplay those conditions to all enemies nearbye

and stuff like converting boons to conditions for enemies
and convert conditions to boons for friends
send conditions via 20sec ae-purge to enemys blabla

in small men fights, the elite "plague" can reduce the DPS of the enemy grp to zero cause of the pboae blindness spam.
NO real healing, no real cc (just a lil bit snare and freeze and 2x a lolo-mat fear that only lasts 1 sec^^)
Magicco

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 12:12

Even if not much healing and not much cc (though i think even a 1 sec fear can safe ur ass sometimes (warriors have a fear as an utility skill that doesnt last much longer) this sounds like a dedicated support class to me, applying/removing boons and conditions is a big part of GW2 support.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Lasastard » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 12:17

Bloodwyne wrote:
Lasastard wrote: so the heals are essentially a regeneration field and a very low radius heal spring which is almost impossible to get on target and maybe heals 3-5k tp with my current template. So it's not amazing - both in terms if availability (cool down) and strength (1/4th of a normal HP pool, maybe).

3-5k HP are pretty much in my opinion, and i agree that this field is quite useless without the usage of combo finishers with it. But thats sth i and probably many others are experiencing atm and learing. For example my greatsword whirl is a perfect style to use on any kind of fields, it has a recharge of 8 seconds and u can easily direct the whirl through the fields - this happening, it will apply regeneration (for more than 20 seconds!!!) to an alot wider radius than the field itself has... right now i dont know the radius but it should be sth between 600 and 1200.. will check ingame.

I don't know if its general the case but smaller fields probably have a stronger effect than larger fields.. would make sense imo, and therefor i think, whilst using them with combofinishers they are pretty damn effective.

I am not suggesting to not drop these fields anymore, but I doubt that me putting in more points into healing will have a substantial effect on their use for WvW. Unless the combos are affected by it - say if I have double the healing power in my temp, that a combo triggered by a great sword whirl also yield more regeneration. Probably not. So I am just talking about the immediate gain from templating my elementalist as pure supporter. And I see issues both in a practical sense (need toget close to the enemy to fully utilize my support skills) as well as overall value (does having somewhat higher heals in favor of a lot less dps really pay off in GW2, which is just not really designed for anything other than high dps large scale siege stuff).
Lasastard

Postby Ravis » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 13:49

Rangers have indeed some pretty nice CC abilities. In particular long lasting root effects as Mark has mentioned can really ruin your day if you get caught off guard. This would apply to our elite skill Entangle which is an up to 20 sec PBAE root/bleed. The vines can be destroyed in a few hits, but if you get caught out you might not react quickly enough and waste valuable time.

The fact that it's PBAE can make it tricky to use (charge into a bunch of people to notice they 50 not 10 and then you lag so bad that it does not fire :P ), but when it does work there is great potential for taking out bunched up people trying to take a keep/camp etc. Like bombing runs in DAoC where a well placed mezz and some AE damage could wipe large numbers of unorganised people in seconds.

In addition to that we have a few traps which can be traited for larger radius and to be mid range ground target which apply cripples and chills. The best one probably is Muddy Terrain which is technically not a trap but works in a similar way and creates an a long lasting area which cripples people and briefly roots them on the initial hit.

I haven't really tried the support side of the ranger yet, but from what I have read it's not that hot at the moment. I don't know how reliable and useful spirit buffs are (proc rate/actual radius in open world fights) plus spirits are supposed to be very fragile.
Our Healing Spring creates a very nice support field it is however PBAE which probably won't do much good again in open fights.

As for running as a guild group in WvW I will give it a shot trying to focus more on CC by dropping traps, etc in addition to popping Call of the Wild when it's up.

I am going to mess around a bit with different traits/gear/specs to see what works best for CC.
Ravis

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 13:53

Guardians grapple -> Sylvari root -> Elementalist AE dmg = it hurts :D

should really try that
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Jadene » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 15:18

I would say the engineer is a jack of all trades and capable of filling alot of roles with the many multitude of skills and kits available to them.

From my personal point of view, I am not a huge fan of the turrets, they die too fast, and from a WvW perspective they are not ideal unless of course using in a static environment. I do however tend more often than not to use the elite skill supply crate which has bandages and turrets within it

I play at present mostly a DPS/hybrid grenadier spec. Specced mostly into power/prec/crit though I am not geared as a full glass cannon build as have some survivability built into my armour.

IMO the engineer is one of the best aoe damage classes. I have long range grenades which of course are more ideal to standing still rather than moving but I can lay down very quick damage in a short amount of time along with the stacking vulnerability, freeze etc. Add into that the elixirs fury/quickness and is a lot of damage in a very short period of time.

I also have bomb kits which are really situational. These can be specced to heal alies on explosion but you have to be running around in melee range so depends on what you are killing. I think more of a PVE ability.

Depending on if I am running as a duo or more I take out an elixir and put in the exlir gun to have more of a support role in my spec with a couple of small AOE heals, cripples and curing conditions.

I do not think personally the heals match the ability of elementalists or indeed the support of guardians but still add to the equation nonetheless.
Jadene

Postby Ateron » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 16:37

I think mesmers are best fit for support roles; reflecting damage/stopping damage for a while, conditions removals, quickness buff, single target oriented control spells, some nice dazes and cripples, when traited phantasms and illusions gives some buffs (shattered or unshattered), group invisibility abilities, portals, random buff/debuff generating abilities, lots of escape abilities.

Mesmers are not an aoe class and we may be behind some classes as dps. We got very limited aoe spells and need a setup time for aoe damage. Mesmers' dps is good but it need some setup time to do nice damage.
Ateron