Go to footer

Class Choice

Re: Class Choice

Postby Jadene » Thu 26. Jul 2012, 12:37

I picked the mesmer because I liked how it flows and feels to play and is a support type. (plus the butterflies are nice :P )

I am totally out of my comfort zone though as I generally was a healing class as a main in previous MMOs. But looking forward to it, learning the nuances and growing into the role and the utility of the class, no doubt will be a learning curve for me but looking forward to it nonetheless :)

I wouldn't worry too much though I understand why you are annoyed about the ranger but you know how these games go and they have a FOTM class and it tends to go around that they increase/nerf and so on trying to balance and each class I am sure will be more powerful/less when they get around to fiddling with things etc etc.

:)
Jadene

by Advertising » Thu 26. Jul 2012, 12:37

Advertising

Postby Aaron » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 00:34

Bloodwyne wrote:I really dont get why u even started playing ranger if u expected him to outdamage a Warrior in Melee Oo.. its like i would complain about Warrior being outdamaged by a Ranger using Longbow..

I started playing Ranger BECAUSE it out damage warrior in melee. I KNEW that based on what a closed beta player told me, and then my own testing. You seem to be basing what you think the balance state will be at launch off your impression of the names of the profession. Just cause ranger has the word, "range" in it, doesn't mean that it currently is not out performing every other melee comparing #1 skills.

Bloodwyne wrote:Also i dont really know where u can draw that much information from about DMG comparison in such a short time as i only saw you playing Ranger. Just taking the base dmg not including stats, skill effects, traits etc seems really wrong to me in this game.

There are not profession specific damage tables, the formula is across the board, so a comparison of coeffecients is rather accurate actually. What really matters is that you normalize the swing speed to 1 per second.

I take that comparison on paper, and then attack a dummy in the mists and see if Time To Kill Ratio between the two being compared matches the hypothesized Time To Kill Ratio that the paper predicted. It does, accurately. There is no reason to not draw conclusions based on that, in my opinion. What else would I use exactly?

And FYI warriors have very good ranged builds. The ranger just has less armor and hps so theyve given them slightly more damage. as it should be.

I 100% expect that Greatsword damage from Ranger will be BUFFED back up to match (or rather I expect exceed) Ranger 1H Sword Damage, and also Warrior Greatsword damage.

I expect that based on what I have seen so far. However, if what I expect them to do, does not happen (and instead they go the other way with the damage correction, brining 1H sw down to GS levels), then I may not be playing Ranger, that's all. I don't see why that's something to worry about, its just basics of picking a profession imo. Its unlikely, but something I am prepared for. I will start the headstart the same way I started every other beta, by testing the dmg (as I described above) immediately in the mists and making my decision based on the current available data. its science.
Aaron

Postby Bloodwyne » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 08:32

Aaron wrote:
Just cause ranger has the word, "range" in it, doesn't mean that it currently is not out performing every other melee comparing #1 skills.

And FYI warriors have very good ranged builds. The ranger just has less armor and hps so theyve given them slightly more damage. as it should be.

Aye, thats exactly what im thinking. Melee DPS Rangers outdamaging Melee DPS Warriors simply feels wrong to me. As it feels wrong if Ranged DPS Warriors outdamage Range DPS Rangers. I know it is not a scientific way of thinking but it still makes total sense to me.

Don't get me wrong here, if you feel your class is underperforming i can totally understand ur not picking this class on launch and i don't want anyone to pick a class just because it is needed in the guild. Personally i still think u might do a mistake basing your decision only on DPS. I am sure there will be plenty of use for every class in in WvW and there will be plenty of balancing and fixing happening even after release. And ofc i hoped u might stay on Ranger as u gained alot of knowledge about them in the BWE's and yes we lack Rangers in guild, though we also lack Necros and Thiefs (maybe Engineers too). At the end this is not a big problem as every class can perform good in almost any kind of role (Tank/DD/Support/CC).
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Alexcia » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 08:47

It is strange, the chief is 1 of least played toon,
why, dps to low, any single play?
Someone tried it in the betas?
Alexcia

Postby Bloodwyne » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 08:51

Alexcia wrote:It is strange, the chief is 1 of least played toon,
why, dps to low, any single play?
Someone tried it in the betas?

I guess u mean Thief? Personally i did not test it. In structured PvP some of them were doing pretty decent DPS though. And what i saw on vids their Movement skills are simply the coolest in the game ^^

So i dont know why noone likes them in Rare ^^
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Aaron » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 09:05

The thief has some issues with sustaining its damage because of the way that initiative works. It also happens to be the most mobile profession, so in sPvP where a lack of sustained damage isn't such a big deal, and you need someone to quickly get to points they are very needed. In WvW their mobility becomes less of an advantage, and the lack of sustained DPS is more of a challenge.

But that said, they have some of the best group buffs/condition application in the game. They can get a LOT of venoms for their weapons, and they can trait to apply venom to their allies weapons as well. So a thief cycling their venoms near a melee train is going to be doing crazy condition application through the weapons of their allies, including Petrification which is an unbreakable stun. 5 people with that? Yes please.

Necros seem to be build around condition application, which let's be honest, just isn't sexy. Their DPS is very low which is probably to compensate for them having like 3 health bar equivalents and the highest HP table (a necro specced for it can basically have like 75-100K HPs).
Aaron

Postby Frinjan » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 10:20

well about thief, I myself started one in BWE 0 where thiefs were just overpowered they had a good damage output and great utility skills (like the venoms or the invisible + heal field the 2 thiefs etc) in BWE 1 he was totaly nerfed he couldn t reach any melee DPS and the abilitys I mentioned were nerfed too (field was reduced in duration and heal it became pretty useless at that state etc) for me it became lesser atractive at that time because mesmer could stealth more then a thief and thiefs couldn t take much damage that for they were just not powerful enough on BWE 2 they increased the thief again but only in damage the abilitys were still the same and I stoped playing it I didn t had the time to see if it got more balanced in BWE 3 again its still a good class but in my opinion should a light tank melee dps outdamage a full tank melee dps which is not the case the abilitys have a lot of utility but most are more the ego gaming style and so the thief is just not my playstyle anymore thats all I can say about it
greetings jani

Edit* PS thats just my opinion if you realy want to know more you have to try it yourself! ;)
Frinjan

Postby Alexcia » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 19:19

I just looked up the thief ;)
Seems have also nice skills and ally buffs, like stealth for nearby allies.

just a thought, if you put a venom for 3 attacks, is it 3 skill attacks or only 3 hits?
you should use venom http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skale_Venom and than use a aoe skill like the elite http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dagger_Storm and than http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Blossom, right?

Maybe i will try a thief when gw2 comes out?
Alexcia

Postby Bloodwyne » Wed 1. Aug 2012, 12:55

still missing some of the trial members classes
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Ragnar » Thu 2. Aug 2012, 14:08

I'll play Norn Warrior :) and as 2nd i have to decide, but i think one these ( thief, necro, ranger ) :)
Ragnar

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Guild Wars 2