Go to footer

Lets do some WvW!

Re: Lets do some WvW!

Postby Hyrule » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 12:12

maybe you guys should start organizing like on uth? like saying 7 pm afternoon all go wvwvw

if people dont want to come whats the point being in the guild anyways?
Hyrule

by Advertising » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 12:12

Advertising

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 12:33

There was no force needed on uth either, and i don't wanna force people to do sth. they don't want to. Despite the fact that i am not able to force anyone to do WvW anyway ;) In my opinion it is either the early state of the game that people play around with other stuff than PvP/WvW or simply the impression that this is not what they expected it to be. If its the second then i can only say, none of you has done real WvW yet. Noone... including myself. I think the max. joy is to get a group of 10-20 people going and take and defend structures in a fast moving way. This is definately not what we are used to from DAoC, but its still fun imo. The reason for people not doing PvP at all i really cant tell... yes if only focused on PvE this is definately the wrong guild to be in.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Qerildan » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 13:01

well i think its just the missing "call to arms" but with it now it might work ;)
Qerildan
Technical Officer
Technical Officer

Postby Lasastard » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 13:25

Well, to give my 2 cents on this...
I have done WvW, quite a bit, when you Mark were still farming items for that extra 2% dmg. And at the end of the day the simple fact for me was that it is bland and purposeless. You don't log off thinking 'cool stuff, we accomplished something'. Not only do you know that the canadian nightshift is going to erase everything you have fought for during the evening, you also have no sense of progress once you have gotten all your gear together. I personally don't care about the ranking of servers - doesn't affect me in anyway because it is not decided by me, it's decided by the allmighty zerg. And it also doesn't change your gameplay experience in anyway, because IF you should lose your ranking and go down one tier, the fighting is still the same. The goals in WvW are so non-tangible and unpersonal that there is just not hook to keep me personally engagded and interested. Even if the gain in DAoCs RvR was minimal from a certain point onwards, you still felt that you could accomplish something, so it involved you on a more personal level (if you so chose). And of course, the combat was just a lot more diverse and in depth with interrupts, CCs and ways of breaking it and last but not least the ability to fight various types of enemies - from other groups to full zergs, potentially.

Now, this is not meant to be a praise on the amazing game that is DAoC, but an attempt at highlighting why I, and probably many others, find WvW to be a rather unsatisfying experience after a while. Yes you can run in smaller numbes, but the game will always try to force the zerg on you - be it through the greater rewards from zerg-sized activities to the fact that zergs will outrun you, outcc you and just plain fuck up the engine so that you run in blind.
Lasastard

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 15:03

You are just underlining that you started this game with the wrong expectations or expected yourself to go back to Uthgard anyway. Everyone who thought there would be progress after being geared up simply havent read 2 lines about the basic idea of GW2. If that is good or not depends on the player. WoW fans want gear progress, DAoC fans want PvP progress The Sims fans want a housing zone and Ponyriders want mounts.

Apart of the Engine problems (Ghost Zerg) the game itself is in no way to blame for some people not being satisfied. Ofc there are some things that could be better, but the game is still in its "childshoes". I dont want to blackpaint it totally, i was actually expecting a playerloss after the first couple of weeks/month, and there will sure be more to come (Atm its only Xedie who was not really couraged anyway and Lasastard btw), we still have a total of players online every evening that is > 10. The only job is now to try to make players join WvW more frequently to have 10-20man groups running which makes it absolutely more enjoyable than in a 3-8 man group. NO it is not like DAoC, YES it has pretty zergy aspects, IS IT FUN? You decide.
But here it is not about the game and what it offers to you, it is about how to use the sources we have to the maximum fun we can achieve in this game. I really dont wanna start a GW2 sucks / DAoC rulez discussion here. It is only about GW2 and the guild here.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Jadene » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 16:07

It is nice to be able to hit 80, farm/make/buy your gear and you are set to go and to be able to participate on a sort of even playing field other than numbers of course without having to worry about a gear grind or RR grind.

I like that casual aspect of it from that regards.

In DAOC it isn't like I could just go make a level 50 toon, gear up and go rvr expecting to do amazingly well these days without the RR unless I wanted to zerg it or get carried by the group or just hope to meet newbie players. Even back when I was playing it hardcore on the very odd times I had a random person in my group they had to be a certain RR even if that was elitist of me and had to know they had at least a modicum of skill before I would let them join.

But as Mark has said this isn't really a post about comparing GW2 with DAOC, WoW or any other mmo.

I enjoy the game even if get frustrated at times, I enjoy WvW and my engineer just what I have said earlier applies. I also don't need someone to lead me by the hand from a PVP point of view but would like to have more people to play it with.

Maybe because I am female and I also like the social aspect or I wouldn't even bother to join a guild?

My post this morning says what I wanted it to say and was just my concerns from a player to the guild where I care about what happens or I wouldn't bother to post or express myself as I have.

Claire
Jadene

Postby Lasastard » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 18:32

As I said, my aim was not to compare the games but to highlight why some people - including me - may not be enjoying WvW very much. That was all. And that was pretty clear from what I wrote to be perfectly honest.

And frankly, if you feel that you need 10-20 people to make WvW 'fun', the guild needs to double in size to ensure that such numbers can be reached regularly, I would guess. And that's just because not everyone plays every night, gets into WvW in time or even enjoys it all that much. So from that point of view larger guilds as we had them in the alliance before are probably in a somewhat better position because it is easier to keep up a momentum, rather than relying on having a few but highly motivated people in game. And that, coming back to my earlier point, is imho a problem in the game because that level of 'dedication' is not really rewarded - purely from a game design point of view.

Finally, I never said 'I quit' - I said this game does not satisfy me enough to make it a main past time for me. Which is fair enough, I hope. I still log on occasionally and do some PvE or short WvW runs! Just so you know (well not the past week, but in principle!!1^^)
Lasastard

Previous