Go to footer

Why I think Far Shiverpeaks will prove to be an unfun server

Re: Why I think Far Shiverpeaks will prove to be an unfun se

Postby Jadene » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 09:53

Yesterday morning Mike and I queued up for WvW around 11am GMT for EB and we got in after 10 minutes which was most bizarre. Was zergy but still as a duo we had quite some success picking off small groups or wandering players even if you do have to be careful where you go.

What I find mostly annoying is when you see maybe 3 people, mark a target go to assist then boom suddenly you are surrounded by a zerg that doesn't pop so you then get insta killed because they appear all of a sudden lol.

Last night we queued up for Desolation and took 1 hour 10 mins to get in, though we did queue up whilst in group so perhaps will test it solo then grouping up afterwards.

I have mixed minds about changing servers, I wish they would fix the queues to at least put a counter on it so you know where you are at though I know they are working on sorting it.

I also really believe that the server populations will ease off, not saying the game will drop like a stone like SWTOR did, but alot of MMO players like the raid content, getting uber loots etc. and this game doesn't really cater towards that other than aesthetically. Though of course being a F2P game may have a positive effect as well.

I agree with what Aaron has said about the biggest servers not meaning it is the best server but I think on balance though it effects me more than alot of you who don't work that it is probably better if they sort out the queuing so you at least know where you are that in the present term we stay on one of the busiest servers.

If after a few more weeks there is still mega issues then maybe look at it then.

I am sure very few of you will agree with me on this because of the queue times/zerg etc.

And yes it really frustrating but I think making a hasty decision after the game being out for less than a month maybe a bad decision in the long run.

On Sunday I spoke alot to my old guildmates in the states about the PVP side of the game with the awful queues and it changed my perspective somewhat.

They have also got queue times and they are playing on a medium server they seem to have issues sometimes of getting in immediately and other times waiting 2 hours + so it doesn't appear to be just our server or the fullest ones.
Jadene

by Advertising » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 09:53

Advertising

Postby Lasastard » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 10:09

I think it is a good comment that some of our issues may have to do with qeues being borked; so getting to the bottom of that would probably be wise before going ahead with a server change. However, I am not one to wait for weeks just so I can maybe start having some fun. And WvW is the only reason I bought the game, so they better let me enjoy it without requiring me to sit in a qeue for > 1h during the 2-4h I have for available for it .

But again, to repeat Aarons point, there may simply be some issues with FS as a server that will make it unfun over time - like the constant mega-zergs or being pitched against the same two ervers, week after week ^^
Lasastard

Postby Jadene » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 10:20

Yes I am in the same as you with the limited playtime and having to wait to log into wvw for hours isn't going to keep my interested in it long term. I just hope they will sort something out for it.

Also, if we move to a different server and are able to constantly PVP which lets face it is what we all want lol, who is to say we won't go up in the rankings and be matched against the 2 servers we are matched against at present :P

I have never been someone who has played tons of alts as tend to just concentrate on 1 character mainly but I see myself levelling another character rather than getting frustrated each night waiting on the screwed up queues.

And I am not really a PVE player though it is at least interesting in this game.
Jadene

Postby Aaron » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 21:13

Ive been server hoping to get a feel for WvW on different population worlds. The zerg size on Far Shiverpeaks is above and beyond what the other servers that I have tried out seem to have. Bryt and I had some pretty good fights that were more in the 15-20v15-20 range on Blacktide/Gandara/Gunnar's. The map size just don't seem to fit FS very well imo.
Aaron

Postby Bloodwyne » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 22:02

http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers/eu?sor ... order=desc

Referring to this source (which is pretty representative IMO) 2 of the servers, that u felt have been more fun than FS are actually same populated. Blacktide has a lower population though. Also you have been playing during european offtimes today on a monday, that is not really what we would need as source. The fights u get are not depending on the own server, but mostly on the enemy server, and like claire said already, who tells you that we will be fighting desolation and the frenchys forever? (also keep in mind frenchys have vacation atm) Actually i am pretty sure that this will shift EVERY Week, as the lower ranked servers that take the first place do alot more points than we do if we are 2nd or third placed. I really would prefer to keep the focus on the queue's during european primetime, everything else doesnt seem any like a reason for a server switch to me.

In this manners:

Monday queue for Desolation Borderlands (which TNA was in aswell): 19:27 - 19:52 = 25min
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Aaron » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 22:28

That info is way off, since it lists Viz as #5 when they are really #1.

FS is #1 during primetime, but that doesn't really last.

For example today there was a 5 second lag on all skills in EB. The Que was down to 45 minutes for me, however I think this is because they are maybe inceasing EB numbers to combat Que, and this is overloading server, may also be them trying to fix the ghost issue. But I get less lag on the other servers as well.

me and bryt were on Blacktide and Gunnar's hold last night, but i've been on several lower pop servers on both eu and us during most times of the day. far shiverpeak's cluster is particularly zergy.
Aaron

Postby Bloodwyne » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 22:40

This info is not way off, Viz is not the Nr.1 server because of its population. Its because frenchys have vacation atm + they are LESS and therefor able to organize themselves better in bigger numbers. I will test some other servers aswell during the next days though, will see if i see any difference there. Though i will definately not change the server because of that reason. Sorry about that but this is a thing that can shift anytime, and as there actually are zone caps, i really doubt that FS is any more zergy than any other server with full battlegrounds during primetime.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Aaron » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 00:44

Vizunah has the largest WvW population average, by far of any EU server. Maybe that will change, but currently its how it is.

Go around to every cluster, and it is quite obvious. They have (apparently) a large North American, and Australian community which keeps their zerg numbers very high, all the time.

I have not experienced anything like we see on our shard on other server clusters. I think since it is free currently, we should spend some time running groups on other server clusters and let everyone get some experience with all server situations before that opportunity is forever gone and we can only play guessing games.

Here is what the Vizunah ghost zerg looks like;

Who is killing that guard?

http://i.imgur.com/EXvj2.jpg

oh....

http://i.imgur.com/FDysf.jpg
Aaron

Postby Bloodwyne » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 08:00

Okay, any suggestion for todays WvW test server?
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Jadene » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 08:33

How do I change servers to test it tonight? Do I just pick one from the list and log on to it?
Jadene

PreviousNext