Go to footer

Why I think Far Shiverpeaks will prove to be an unfun server

Why I think Far Shiverpeaks will prove to be an unfun server

Postby Aaron » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 02:55

Its too populated. This places us at the top ranking. Contrary to popular belief, the top ranked servers are not the most skilled, they are the largest. The ones that can maintain the highest average population in WvW the most hours of the day.

By playing on FS, we are relegated to playing against other very high population servers. Vizunah has been matched against us for as a long as I can recall, and they have zergs on every map, basically 24/7. Even as it becomes 4, 5, 6am in europe, the Vizunah zerg carries on. They have a large community from Canada and Australia, and they can zerg 24/7.

Even the other servers we will face have large zerg forces. They are no larger than our own, but frankly, our own zergs are fairly massive.

Zerging objectives isn't fun. Zerg forces are used to zerg down objectives, and defend objectives from other zergs. Mostly using siege. Siege warfare isn't fun. Its the crafting version of WvW.

The maps are too small for our server populations size. The maps are tiny. You can hit each objective with siege from the safety of the previous objective. This isn't too bad to deal with if the population matches the size of the maps, but on Far Shiverpeaks this is never the case. Even in off hours, Viz has a massive force, and if you at any point go out in the WvW maps it won't be long before you run into them.

The maps aren't just too small, but they tell the enemy where you are as soon as you fight anything, even mobs. Because they are so tiny, and because they give so much info about where fighting is happening, and because zergs are always on speed, you've basically always got to deal with whatever main force is out and about, even during off hours.

The zergs lead to massively long WvW Que times. The longest I've seen is somewhere north of 2 hours, but I know its longer in the middle of primetime trying to get into EB. A 2 hour wait to play WvW is simply unacceptable.

On a zerg server, you will always need a larger group to be successful. Getting a larger force into the same map is nearly impossible. Today, we timed joining EB at the exact moment the server rematching ended and still only about half the group was able to get in after a Que time of some minutes, and the rest didnt get in for almost an hour or more.

Larger zergs present larger clipping problems. Even if we decided that we were gonna stick it out and do the zerg versus zerg thing, having a fight against a very large force in this game is crappier than most because of the way that the clipping works. The game will only load so many players onto your computer at once, and which ones are largely determined by proximity. This seems to hold off on loading enemies, until you are VERY close to them, and VERY far away from your allies. Many times this has lead to myself running basically into a suicide situation because I had no idea there were 4+ groups where i was about to teleport/leap.

I will probably come back and add more issues with the Far Shiverpeaks population as they come to mind, but I think this is a good start as to why we should start considering a world transfer.

I think TNA is a great alliance, but I wonder if they are as committed to fighting enemies or if they just want objective farm points.
Aaron

by Advertising » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 02:55

Advertising

Re: Why I think Far Shiverpeaks will prove to be an unfun se

Postby Jadene » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 07:03

Yes I agree with most of what you say there Aaron.

Sure have found quite a few pockets of action but yes run across zergs more often than not. And what makes it also annoying is yes they all of a sudden pop on the screen and you are insta gibbed sometimes.

I do not mind having larger numbers attacking if you are defending a keep or what not though, other than the fact my frame rate goes down really low and I personally like siege options available. Though my favourite type of pvp is always going to be the roaming around looking for people rather than keep humping.

I think the alliance seems alright though was a bit chaotic when I joined one time in the chat as was pmed whilst in WVW. Lots of arguing going on and then the GM/officers in there told everyone else to shut up and just let them speak. Gave me a bit of a headache and left after that shortly.

I think the alliance has potential but I 100% do not agree that being on the largest server means you are on the best. It just means you have a higher percentage of people out in pvp zergfesting it up.

I would rather be on a quieter server where at least you can make a difference and actually play in a more enjoyable smaller scale even if still zergs going on here and there.

I think should be looking at perhaps a middle population one, I think a mega quiet one is not a great idea either.

But hard to know without actually trying it.

I think the queue times are the pita though and once I have farmed my gear I do not want to be twiddling my thumbs for 2 hours a night waiting to pvp. I have little play time as it is lol :P
Jadene

Postby Hyrule » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 10:32

/sign.
Hyrule

Postby Dundun » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 15:40

+1
I tried to start a conversation about transfer to another server just at the beginning of GW2 when we all could do it for free. But it went silent and we stayed on FS.

More and more I'm disappointing with this game just because of those enormous queues. Now I can go PvE because I'm low lvl and after 2-3 hours of exping when I'm offered to port to BL (finally my queue came) I'm just quitting or staying to finish the quest because my free gaming time is coming to the end. But what should I do when I'll hit lvl 80? No PvE just 2-3 hours queue? No thanks.
And yes, even if I'll get to BL runing with zergs isn't fun in longer period.
They have to think about it also we have to think about it, otherwise I wont see a point of playing GW2 :(

P.S. Tiny server would be better than medium I think. In longer period of time it could fill to medium status or even large, when chosen medium status server could rise to large/full.
Dundun

Postby Jadene » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 16:04

I am not so sure about a tiny server. Have to remember that alot of players will quit because there isn't the carrot and stick of grinding the next set of loot to do the next highest raid. And whilst it would be nice to have no queues in pvp it would suck to have to go hunting looking for people pvping.

I hate the queues though yes and queuing for 2 hours an evening isn't something that is going to keep me around in the game for ever :P

But it could be depending on how impatient everyone is that in the next couple of weeks the queues will improve /shrug
Jadene

Postby Lasastard » Sat 15. Sep 2012, 16:51

Agree with Aaron. I wouldn't want to transfer to a small server, but something medium would be nice, if only for making it possible for the guild to actually partake in WvW together. FS is just such a huge cluster fuck when it comes to WvW... I don't even mind zerging, even if it is 75% of the WvW time, but what is happening on FS is the mother of all zergs...24/7. That is just entirely unfun. No strategy, not exciting keep fights, just rolling across the map like a fucking bulldozer, all day long. Sometimes keeps are raidet from start to finish within a few minutes, thats completely bonkers imho.

And tbh, even if our aliance are a bunch of nice people, it simply can't work on FS because there is no way in hell for any number of people to coordinatetly join the same WvW zone. So you are stuck with the lemmings that plow through the landscape. Yeah I dunno, I haven't had much fun in WvW on FS so far. And I am not even talking about the engine limitations, that just adds to the frustration.
Lasastard

Postby Aaron » Sun 16. Sep 2012, 17:49

Server Rankings as of 14 Sept.

2105.216 Vizunah Square
1832.8 Far Shiverpeaks
1831.66 Desolation
1812.345 Riverside
1721.516 Augury Rock
1700.819 Kodash
1664.686 Gunnar’s Hold
1617.15 Aurora Glade
1611.369 Baruch Bay
1609.415 Fort Ranik
1609.201 Blacktide
1605.825 Gandara
1602.253 Seafarer’s Rest
1562.421 Arborstone
1561.985 Elona Reach
1516.21 Abaddon’s Mouth
1488.269 Underworld
1475.444 Jade Sea FR
1406.02 Ring of Fire
1272.608 Piken Square
1254.93 Whiteside Ridge
1254.831 Vabbi
1245.978 Drakkar Lake
1143.284 Ruins of Surmia
1021.606 Miller’s Sound
1003.289 Dzagonur
991.366 Fissure of Woe
Aaron

Postby Hyrule » Sun 16. Sep 2012, 21:44

switch asap pls
Hyrule

Postby Lasastard » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 07:15

On a positive note, I actually had quite a bit of fun WvW'n with the guild yesterday. Granted, it took as forever to get in and we only joined the Desolation borderlands, which seem to be the least crowded (not that this means much on FS) - but we actually roamed quite a bit and had some fun fights. However, so far this has not been my experience and whether that is something that can be repeated or whether they will just bring the big bad zerg next time...who knows.
Lasastard

Postby Bloodwyne » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 07:55

Yep i also have to say that the short run yesterday was quite fun, though i think once we willl regulary be 10+ members this will get even better, as we then are able to ninja towers and stand against some bigger zergs. We didn't once join a Zerg force, took mostly just camps and 1 or 2 towers. From a server perspective a 10 man group running around in unpredictable routes, killing caravans, taking camps and "ganking" reinforcements does good dmg to the enemy servers imo. So noone should feel like you don't contribute to the servers success because u didnt join the 200 man stonemist zerg raid :P

@ Serverchange

Alliance

I find it pretty sad leaving Far Shiverpeaks, mainly because of our alliance. Yet we havent got much in contact with them, but i know for sure that once we are more active in WvW this will change, and they would offer a great basis to do WvW when no guildgroup is around. Also they would offer some well organized Raids in the future. From a personal personal pov i would also regret the plenty of time i invested in this alliance already, but that is sth i could deal with.

Queue's

On the other side, yes the queue's are simply ruining the fun. Theres plenty of people in our guild that only have a couple of hours to play during primetime and they, and not only them, really don't want to spend 2 of their 4 hours online waiting in a queue. Even though i think that queue's are still HEAVILY bugged. Yesterday, sunday primetime, i got in after 20-30min of wait which is sth I could absolutly live with even on the long run. And i know that teagen and i who queue'd up at the same time, also got in at the same time, so for once that was not based on a bug IMO. And also it really matters alot which zone you are queueing for. EB is generally a bad bad choice for primetime.

So atm i would like everyone even if not planning to do WvW, to queue up on primetime and tell me how long it took him to get in. Also don't queue up whilst being in a group, people from the alliance told us that you get in alot of faster if your not in a group.

Guild influence

Another point of staying on FS would be that we loose ALL our guild influence, including the upgrades. Jani made me aware of that and i tested it myself. On another server all upgrades were gone. This is not THAT big a problem though. Would take us another 2-3 weeks to get to where we are again.

Zergs

That is something where i actually would rather be careful saying this would be different on a medium populated server. That game is mainly designed for zergs so in my oppinion as a small group we will always be forced to avoid zergs or encounter zergs. It could actually be worse on smaller servers too. The percentage of zergers could simply be higher so this is a point i don't really add to the reason of server change. Basically for me atm it's "just" the point of queue's and thats why i really wanna get more precize info about how long EXACTLY are the queue's for everyone during primetime while queueing SOLO.

In a couple of days then we will decide if we stay on FS or leave.
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Next