Write comments

Application to Join the Rare Community

Sun 16. Jun 2013, 16:04

In general the appliaction to <Rare> is based on accepting our ruleset:

- Joining other guilds next to <Rare> is not allowed.

Acknowledged

- Don’t give the guild a bad reputation by acting like an idiot in public, you represent the guild, and any stupid behaviour gets reflected to the guild.

In all honesty it has taken me sometime to understand the community of Uthgard, and I have done my best since a greater personal comprehension of this server has arisen to be as respectful to my peers as possible.

- Try to stay calm in every situation and give the most possible respect to everyone you meet. People that are always looking for vengeance when they got flamed/griefed/ganked do not fit to our guild.

I do not care about this one bit – aka the griefing or ganked or flamed. After spending some time at a Buddhist University I learned how to shrug certain things off quite well.

Application Content

In an application we like to see at least the main points:
- Name (this guild behaves quite familiar, the firstname is not too personal to reveal to avoid calling ourselves with nicks)

My Real Life name is James, but I really prefer Cath while in the community. My primary e-mail has ‘Cath’ in it; even the one I use for business. I came up with Catholocate somewhere around 1999-2002 and I have always loved the given abbreviated form “Cath” that has been given to me since creating it.

- Age (is not important, but just as a hint)

- Chars

Moonkitten, 50 Reaver
Starfox, 48 Arms (Pole)
Sounder, 48 Friar (trispec 34 rejuv)
Greencouch 48 Cleric (group spec)
Catholicate (50 hero, CS/shield/det5)
Catholycate (47 Shar Melee Ranger)

Planning to build:

Paladin, Blademaster.

- Atleast a small sentence about your history in MMO's

DAoC was my first MMO. After playing Diablo II (first RPG) I wanted to play a game with a huge world in it that didn’t really have an ending. I heard about Everquest, but I had always played strategy and FPS games so the thought of no PvP was not attractive. A man at Wizards of the Coast recommended Dark Age of Camelot. It became the best game I have played ever. I have played: DAoC, WoW, Lineage II, FFXI, and I think that’s it for MMORPG’s.

I started on Hibernia, Lancelot. My guild progression eventually lead me to KoS. With KoS, I played WoW and Lineage II. Hib Lance was an amazing place; I could write a book about my experiences there.

-Why you chose <Rare>? (At least a sentence, it would be perfectly enough if it was just because of the rule set, a friend in guild or because you liked some guild members you ran in group with

I have ran with your group a few times and I have really appreciated how relaxed everyone is. I also used to play with ‘Healomatic’ (aka Aaron) on Hib, Lance, Live a decade ago. It was an honor being remembered by him…. (hopefully in a good way).

Your Code:

1. We respect our enemies and realm mates and don't try to ruin running fights by add. 3-realm-fights can be exceptions if there is a solid fight running.

Acknowledged – I would appreciate clarification on this if I am running with a PuG? What is standard procedure?

2. We don't farm/gank our enemies (in form of x+y vs x). A fair respectful behaviour is the key to make the game attractive to everyone and fairness is our main intention. Events or Relic raids/Relic defences are of course exceptions.

Acknowledged and understood

3. Greys and Levelers/Lowlevels will not be killed by us if they don't attack or add. We earn our realmpoints in fair fights and not by farming. This game is intended to match with each other and not about farming Realmpoints.

Acknowledged and close to completely understood. My one 'grey' area of concern:

I occasionally solo on my friar in DF for PvP, and sometimes I have to kill greys who spy on me. I do not run around and kill greys, but if I’m sitting in a room hiding behind a corner and there are a couple greys staring at me – I kill them . I do this so I can maintain surprise attack and not risk getting zerged or outnumbered. I feel like I apply “adequate discretion” in my decision making. Let me know if this is an issue; we can talk about it more in-depth – or if this is a cut-and-dry rule, I can definitely change up my tactic. I am not an individual who goes around killing greys. I just kill when necessary for a strategic advantage.

P.s.: Of cause there can be exceptions to people who keep behaving unfair to us, but it is not enough if someone added once or was seen in a zerg once. Everyone deserves at least the chance to be fair and since we are an honorful guild we try to give these chances as often as possible.

Acknowledged

A little bit about me:

I was a Software Test Engineer for 5 years while supporting my way through school to get an undergraduate (US) degree in Psychology. About 3 years through I stumbled upon ‘myself’ and decided to relocate home to contemplate how I was going to do what I wanted to do with my life. In June 2011, I got the idea and studied and read everything I could.

As of April 2013, I believe I have figured out how to make 2-3% a day during a bullmarket on the stock market. I am still fine tuning everything, and there is no guarantee that it will work. So far I am still in the early stages – but all of my picks so far have been successful.

I also have PTSD, so I can be a little weird sometimes. I’m working on it. I’m a really nice guy and I’m learning to accept that about myself.

Thank you for your consideration. I am incredibly nervous! Having the opportunity to join a guild that has people that I would like to play with is quite intimidating! I hope you guys like me, that's all I really care about anyways :)

-James Cath

Sun 16. Jun 2013, 16:04

Re: Application to Join the Rare Community

Mon 17. Jun 2013, 08:28

Hey Cath!

First of all, thanks for your well written application! After playing with you a couple times and having u in TS i got the feeling ur a type of guy that its easy to come along with.

However, since we are a almost exclusively 8vs8 centric guild on a pretty competetive basis there is more to expect from a new member but to be a nice guy. We are looking for people with alot of experience in this game so i would like to know what chars you had on live servers and how long did you play there, any SG experiences? Also how long you are on Uthgard already and how "important" is this game to you and especialyl the 8vs8 bracket?

I can't really judge your gameplay yet but after rewatching a bit of my video material when you ran with us i felt u were a bit lost on your hero playing with our castersetup ;) Still i also noticed you were trying to adapt and asking for advice which is very positive.

I also wanna let you know that Albion is and always will be the main realm of ours. At the moment we are a bit more eager to play hib as we just reached the endgame RvR. But usually our Hib toons are for the situation where theres to many Albs running in emain and we can log Hib so we get some action.

Also i am a little DAoC racist and i noticed for all your chars u didn't pic the most efficient race except for the friar ofc as there is no other choice than Briton ;D This ofc is not an application criteria, but sometimes it gives me a hint about what a player expects from the game. Stats are important in DAoC.

To answer your questions:

- There is no if and when in the rule about greyganking. The only time you can kill them is when they attack you or support other attackers. What you think they could do or could tell someone doesnt matter.

- When a pug you are in decides to gank soloers and smallgroups, there is usually no need for you to interfere in that fight. I dont expect people to leave a group because of that but i expect them to not actively take part in ganking of soloers and smallgroups. To be on the safe side you can tell the group that you wont help them in such situations.

Few more questions:

I think your from the USA right? You realize we are a mostly European guild and our primetime is definately EU?
How active are you usually during a week?

Mon 17. Jun 2013, 23:36

I remember Cath from live back during Old Frontiers. Played with a lot of the people from his old guild, KoS. One of the better early guild in DAOC. Played with Cath quite a bit in thidranki here on uthgard, and I know when he gets new directions for how to play he can adjust his gameplay.

btw, nice application Cath.

Tue 18. Jun 2013, 19:19

We are looking for people with alot of experience in this game so i would like to know what chars you had on live servers and how long did you play there, any SG experiences? Also how long you are on Uthgard already and how "important" is this game to you and especialyl the 8vs8 bracket?

On live I played a Champion named Catholocate and was a member of KoS. KoS was the largest earning RP guild in the US, and had about 70-100 members max, including alts. KoS produced Mistwraith, I believe at one point highest earning RP earner in game - Isis, and was lead by Skeltah and Xearoii. I had grown so accustomed to running with them and they're offshoot members that I remember one instance of losing an 8v8. In keep defense 8 of us could hold off 4fg. In pvp we could take 3+ fg. I know that is completely different from uthgard from my experience, as the cream of the crop seems to have moved here; and, Uthgard DAoC is different - it's still DAoC though, but it really is "Uthgard DAoC." I played live from Launch untill about 1 year after ToA release. Shortly after the ToA release I migrated to Andred where I played an Infiltrator named Katholicate.

I played on Uthgard a little over two years ago for a short stint. I quit after coming to the server assuming I knew everything due to my success on Live. I then had some psychological shifts and realized my need to relax and adapt and realized that this was Uthgard DAoC - Still DAoC, but with Uthgard math and rules. My total accumulated playtime on utghard since finding it over 2 years ago is probably close to 1-1.5 years of consecutive play.

As for SG - I do not know what you mean by this. If Set Group - as in routinely 8 specific people, KoS was sort of like that - but it was more we were all very skilled players and we had a core of about 20-25 members who would fill the 8v8 slot.

I can't really judge your gameplay yet but after rewatching a bit of my video material when you ran with us i felt u were a bit lost on your hero playing with our castersetup ;) Still i also noticed you were trying to adapt and asking for advice which is very positive.

Yes! I was! I was unsure what I was doing. I have recently realized and been learning the utility emphasis on hero. I feel I am doing much better now. I am a very quick learner and I enjoy winning, (as it's fun!) and taking on more numbers and higher RR than my group. One of the reasons I am drawn to DAoC, a lot of it is is truly a skill based game. I try to come out of every fight having learned something - I try to come out of losses with positive perspective. I believe this is left over from my days in KoS; I rarely remember us losing in an 8v8.

I also wanna let you know that Albion is and always will be the main realm of ours. At the moment we are a bit more eager to play hib as we just reached the endgame RvR. But usually our Hib toons are for the situation where theres to many Albs running in emain and we can log Hib so we get some action.

That's fine. I have a reaver there and it looks like I will be rolling a mercenary or paladin.

Also i am a little DAoC racist and i noticed for all your chars u didn't pic the most efficient race except for the friar ofc as there is no other choice than Briton ;D This ofc is not an application criteria, but sometimes it gives me a hint about what a player expects from the game. Stats are important in DAoC.

I agree. Truth is about Shar Hero - I really wanted crazy HP on a class. Thought it was a good choice. In the end, though, sadly only about 120-200 more hp than other tanks. I didn't think of checking CharBuilder before hand, as I was so eager to play DAoC again and I love high-hp. As for the Highlander over Half-Ogre, if this is a make or break... I'm sorry! I have always loved the immersiveness of DAoC; and I also used to be a game developer. Half-Ogre's and Firbolg's have run/walks that drive me crazy. Can't stand watching them from a 3rd person perspective. Luri's are also just too small for me and look very 1999's graphically. These are the only races I really prefer not to play. Anything else I am fine with. I am willing to take the 10 pt cummulative hit on a peircer to chose celt over firbolg to enjoy my gameplay more. I am totally content with absolutely any other race though. Troll included :)

To answer your questions:

- There is no if and when in the rule about greyganking. The only time you can kill them is when they attack you or support other attackers. What you think they could do or could tell someone doesnt matter.

Okay sounds good. I like you pointing out my paranoia btw :) hahaha whoops!

- When a pug you are in decides to gank soloers and smallgroups, there is usually no need for you to interfere in that fight. I dont expect people to leave a group because of that but i expect them to not actively take part in ganking of soloers and smallgroups. To be on the safe side you can tell the group that you wont help them in such situations.

Sounds good

Few more questions:

I think your from the USA right? You realize we are a mostly European guild and our primetime is definately EU?
How active are you usually during a week?

Yes I am from USA, PST timezone (Washington State, West Coast). I am currently in progress of finding part-time work, but before the end of 2013 I am hoping to be fully self-employed which would allow me to only work about 2-3 hrs a week. Currently, since I am not working, I am free and active nearly all the time :) My high times are 18hr CEST - 24hr CEST, and 8hr CEST to 12hr/13hr CEST.

As Aaron mentioned; I love learning and doing well. I rarely hold an ego when I am playing with people as a lot of my life (outside of this game) is also focused on personal development. I love winning. I love taking 2-3x my numbers. Also beating out other 8v8 groups is always great, I never really had an issue with that on live - but that was ten years ago - I am sure, though, I will absolutely love 8v8 here. 8v8 is very enjoyable. I am just a big fan of 8v16/24/32/40/48 :) hahaha. I am the type of player that will very rarely blame a loss due to numbers from 2fg or 3fg (unless clearly they are 8v8 teams), I always try to find a way to improve for more effectiveness. That is why I love DAoC - I think with the right approach a lot can be accomplished, and there is always room to learn.

A little more - I really enjoy my solo time and the freedom to do what I want. Sometimes I just have the combat screen open (no chat) and run off soloing or crafting for an hour or two. I typically leave up an AFK flag w/ my steam name so you can get in contact with me if you need me.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, the possibility of being able to join your guild is incredibly intimidating and desirable to me (intimidating in a good way, I just want you guys to like me and make sure I don't fuck stuff up... :-)

-James / Cath

Tue 18. Jun 2013, 21:24

sounds very good mate, no questions left for me!

give us 1-2 days to talk with members that avoid the forums and then ill give u our result mate ;)

Wed 19. Jun 2013, 04:27

okay talk to you soon

Thu 20. Jun 2013, 14:22

Alright Cath,

all of us agree that we should give you an invite as a trial member! Until you are more familiar with the Uthgard 8vs8 however it might happen that we take someone else for your slot in a 8vs8 group during primetime. No pressure or sth. just we have to keep being competetive especially on Hibernia as we already struggle alot there ;) Maybe ur already more experienced than i think^^ time will tell. If your cool with that id really like to introduce you to our little community=)

Please finish your account registration so i can activate it for the internal forums. Send one of our chars ingame for an invite ;) Rare on Alb // Collateral Damaged on Hib .. but i guess thats no news:P

Cheers

Sat 22. Jun 2013, 13:07

another troll?:P

Sat 22. Jun 2013, 23:43

Hey! This is great to here. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I have had quite a bit going on IRL. I am available for invite :) I will contact you guys when I see you online.

-James

Sun 23. Jun 2013, 08:09

Welcome to the community James =) Ur account is activated for internal forums! Cu ingame
Write comments

Bei iphpbb3.com bekommen Sie ein kostenloses Forum mit vielen tollen Extras
Forum kostenlos einrichten - Hot Topics - Tags
Beliebteste Themen: Name, Forum, NES, Youtube, Uni

Impressum | Datenschutz