Go to footer

Post your planned builds

Post your planned builds

Postby Aaron » Fri 4. May 2012, 05:28

So the last weekend event a goal for myself was to find and test builds that did maximum ranged dps. For the next event my goal will be to find and test builds that do maximum melee DPS. I am hoping that this next event they will be testing lvl 30+ content, so there is a good chance that some traits, all the utility slots and even elite skills will come into play.

That in mind I am going to be comparing ranger melee to warrior melee, as I think those two professions will offer the best burst melee DPS (taking advantage of quickness).

First is the ranger build

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#r;pkffa; ... Zace;ZYXgZ

Greatsword/Axe-Warhorn

The ranger is traited so that pet boons from signets apply to the ranger as well, then take the signet utility skills which give pet (and now you!) invulnerability and stability. Quickening zephyr of course, and rampage as one for elite skill for the nice buffs it gives.

Playstyle/basic-skill-combos; Open from auto attack axe/warhorn, DD with warhorn, pop warhorn buff, switch to greatsword, swoop, pop zephyr's quickness buff for max dmg and finish with auto attack on greatsword.

Can give extra axe attacks from range, or pop the other utilities as needed for defense or CC avoidance. The bread and butter of DPS for this build will just be straight auto of greatsword while on quickness, but the other weapon skills offer limited DPS boosts as well a rear stun in GS and a ranged snare in axe.

Gearing: Because of the invulnerability, and multitude of other buffs, I would gear this build almost exclusively for offense. Besides, quickening zephyr auto fires at 25% so best dmg is near low health anyway :D

As far as pets are concerned, I still don't know which are the best so that's gonna be work in progress.

And the Warrior build

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#w;kfkak; ... baXe;bjYkZ

Warrior traits for almost an even mix of CC avoidance and dmg buffs. The endure pain at 25% health too of course. Utility skills are setup to provide a knockdown charge, invulnerability, a nice all around buff, and of course quickness buff from frenzy.

Playstyle/basic-skill-combos: Open from 2H. Pop the elite skill, signet of rage, before engaging target. Bullrush to engage, knocking down enemy, hit frenzy at the same time as you pop Hundred Blades weaponskill and all but the toughest targets should be dead. For additional burst dmg after quickness fades, switch out to axe/shield and pop Eviscerate. There is some item that gives auto crit after switching weapons, this makes the switch weapons/eviscerate do ridiculous damage. Not sure if this will be accessed next beta event though, but eviscerate on its own is still awesome. Cycle through axe skills as needed, and when hundred blades should have reset, shield bash to stun, swap to 2H and Hundred Blades to victory.

Gearing: Skills provide tons of CC immunity and endure pain is good for defense, but gear could still add some more in the defensive category. Damage should be high enough that 100% offensive gear shouldn't be critical. It is important that this build is geared for a high crit %, because its traited for the might buff on every crit. With gear and some adrenaline crit chance should be able to hit near 50%. So might should always be up. But again, not sure how far we will get into items, so no idea really how much control on gear for next event.

So those are the two builds I am planning on using for a baseline for the next event. If you see anything you'd critique or have comments I would appreciate them.

And I really hope to read some builds that others have made in anticipation of our next chance to play.

Cheers.
Aaron

by Advertising » Fri 4. May 2012, 05:28

Advertising

Re: Post your planned builds

Postby Lasastard » Fri 4. May 2012, 10:51

Like i know how that works. From the top of my head and for my elementalist, I would go for these traits:

30 fire (with dmg stuff)
25 water (couldn't figure out what to put in the last major upgarde slot)
10 air (20% faster glyph recharge)

Glyph of elemental harmony (grants might + heals when in fire atunement)
Arcane Power (active crit buff) / Or Mist Form (3sec morph, breaks stun and can't be attacked)
Glyph of renewal (pbae rezz when in earth atunement, 100% rezz when in water atunement)
Signet of fire (passive crit buff)
Tornado (break free from CC, throw nearby enemies around)

Now, some of that stuff might not stack the way I have set this up now, but sounds decent to me ^^

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?la ... 0g0n131609

The passive bonuses I am not so sure about, arcane might actually reduces the cooldown for atunements, so that may well be worth to invest more points into. :?:
Lasastard

Postby Aaron » Fri 4. May 2012, 11:50

did you get the water trait that gives you 10% dmg boost above 90% health? might be worth it.

i have heard that arcane blast hits extremely hard, but the delve is only 380 dmg so I am not sure.
Aaron

Postby Lasastard » Fri 4. May 2012, 12:18

The thing with 90%health-> extra damage is that I am not sure how useful that is for water spec. This will essentially boil down to weapon choice. With staff, your damage is limited to a slow and low dmg ae ; so not really worth it. However, staff also has the heal dd and the gtae heal field, which can be combined with melee styles for additional healing effects. Pretty useful imho. I also prefer staff for fire - sure, it's zerg spec, but you get good spells with it (incl. meteor shower). The dmg spells in fire for dagger/scepter are pretty close quarters, if I remember correctly. And for that elementalist seems a bit squishy imho.

Then again, that chain of reasoning really only holds vor WvW, in PvP other specs are probably a lot better.
Lasastard

Postby Aaron » Fri 4. May 2012, 20:52

I figured it applied to all damage, not just water attunement, since it didn't specify that it was limited in that way.
Aaron

Postby Ateron » Sat 5. May 2012, 10:27

My mesmer planned build: http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#m;kfafp; ... baYd;ZgVSb

I used staff and mh sword/pistol for my build. Staff is nice for aoe and boon/condition generation. Mh sword have some nice damaging skills also grants some protection. Pistol's last skill is nice for disable and other one is a very good damage clone.

My utility skills are decoy: survival skill, blink is blink :D and mirrored feedback: Bane for ranged characters :P.

My choice of elite skill is time warp. I mostly used time warp in pvp (Couldnt unlock for wvw though :( ) and liked it very much. Its a very nice elite skill although very short duration but i make some good combinations with it :).

I dont much work on those builds because Anet probably change most of mesmer's mechanics so i am waiting for an updated skills from them :)
Ateron

Postby Dundun » Sat 5. May 2012, 16:22

Was going with guardian like this http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#g;aaaaa; ... ZaXe;YhTQZ

And now thinking what to try as a 2nd character: messmerer like Aterons build, or ranger GS. Don't know.
Dundun

Postby Bloodwyne » Sun 6. May 2012, 10:08

This is going to be my next build for PvP... W T F :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hvsuTd_No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGx56riidY&feature=relmfu

this vid also shows a nice UI setup imo, gonna copy him next beta on my warr^^
Bloodwyne
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Postby Aaron » Mon 7. May 2012, 05:58

I just hope they don't nerf quickness buff.
Aaron

Postby Lasastard » Tue 8. May 2012, 07:01

Well, that warrior build would need to be nerfed. In a game with somewhat oversimplified mechanics (compared to DAoC), you simply can't have anyone being able to 1-shot enemies, if there isn't an effective counter to it.
Lasastard

Next